Friday, May 10, 2013

Do not Bid Adieu

It's that time of the year when our hearts are heavy--it's the 8th semester and one after the other I have to wish my students well and bid adieu to them, and continue with life as if everything is normal. But this phase is a difficult one. For 4 years to share their hopes and fears, trials and tribulations, joy and success, both personal and official, and then a time comes and you know it's time to let go and to smile and be happy for them. Today was one such day. It was the 'Bolonaa Bidaai' ['Do not bid adieu'] party for our ECE 4th year (2009-2013) batch. I'll miss the batch like I'll miss all the other 4th year B. Tech and 3rd year MCA students of our college. They said certain things about some of us [profs]. Regarding me the student representative of the class said that as a person I'm extremely supportive, helpful and am a problem-solver. He said that no matter how critical or diverse the nature of problem/ issue was, I always had solutions to them, that I encouraged students to come to me for any assistance they needed, etc. I feel blessed that I have such students. The first class I had with them officially was on 14 February, 2011. Perhaps that made it more special.

I had taken the IT 4th year examination on Wednesday (8 May 2013) after their examination they came and shook my hands and touched my feet, I was so moved. Some of them chatted with me and we cracked jokes and shared past experiences. They were so happy to see that I remembered what they did when they were in 1st year. In fact, they didn't want to leave the Language Lab where I arranged to conduct the examination solely for them as that would be the last time they would be sitting there. They wanted to stay more. With the completion of that examination the official ties with them were severed.

My students have made me more caring, patient, persevering, calm, dependable and responsible. They are one of the greatest gifts life has given to me. And being with them I have learnt a lot and will go on learning.

May they all fare well in life.

No comments: